What do your parents think?

The New Burbetto Ladies T-Shirt and Men's Hoody -- So freshh!

CURRENT LOCATION: At a computer... Duh. Still in the Chi... For one more day.

As I pursue each day of my career with an open mind, I've noticed that one question is asked more than all others combined in my interactions. The magic question is: What do your parents think?

I don't know... What do you think they think about their white son from suburbia who attends Indiana University and studied business up until this point in his life becoming a rapper?
Actually, my parents are pretty cool. I give them a lot of credit--I'm a very difficult child. At the same time, I'm pretty cool too. Pretty cool in knowing what I want to do and relentlessly working to attract it. I'm ambitious and focused to the point if my parents aren't on my team when it comes to what I want to accomplish at any given point in life, they my as well be working against me.

Working against me is too much stress... So, support it is. Regardless of whether it is rap, memorabilia, or any other venture I vigorously chose to pursue, or at least attempted to, I think my parents recognized my ambition and realized it couldn't be stopped. Working to stop real ambition -- not the bluffing kind, you know what I'm talking about -- is more difficult than "silently" supporting or supporting your child or anybody else in your life. I love my family, not just my parents, but my awesome sister and brother too, and hope I always be able to support them as actively and passionately as they have for me.

The concept of wanting what I want and getting what I want is selfish to an extent, but at the same time you gotta not only look out for your own self-interest sometimes, especially when you deserve it, but you also can't be afraid of being someone you wanna be or doing something you wanna do because your family or anybody else doesn't think it's possible or isn't supporting you. Trust your instincts, be strong, and don't forget -- "See No Limits. Hear No Limits."

-JQ

P.S. Speaking of "silently supporting".. . As far as my rap is concerned, "silently supporting" with the parentals quickly became your music is getting better to, "I really like that one!" to the point where I think my Dad is actually gaining an understanding of hip-hop -- a day I never thought would come.  I'm pretty sure Dixie Cups is now in his regular playlist... And oh boy... You should see the little dance he does to it. He's even got me doing it!

No comments: